Bilzin Sumberg’s International Tax Practice is hosting its Annual International Tax & Wealth Planning Conference November 2nd – 3rd in Miami, Florida.
This conference will highlight the latest developments in the ever changing international tax and wealth planning environment and will cover current topics such as the impact of the new multilateral tax treaty, the use of private trust companies in the U.S. and abroad, and pre-immigration planning from EB-5 investor visas and beyond.
Thursday, November 2
Friday, November 3
Opening Remarks by Richard M. Goldstein, Tax & Estate Planning Practice Group Chair, Bilzin Sumberg
Session #1: U.S. income tax planning for bona fide residents of Puerto Rico, and cross-border tax planning using Malta pension plans
- Summary: This panel will be broken into two parts. First, the panel will discuss various U.S. federal income tax planning opportunities (including exemptions from the CFC and PFIC rules) available to U.S. citizens and green card holders who become “bona fide residents” of Puerto Rico. The second half of the panel will cover the unique U.S. income tax benefits to U.S. persons utilizing Malta pension plans in connection with many common transactions. This portion of the presentation will include a discussion of relevant Maltese law and of the special provisions of the U.S.-Malta income tax treaty that apply to investments in such pension plans.
- Panelists: Summer Ayers LePree, Partner, Tax, Bilzin Sumberg; Jeffrey L. Rubinger, Partner, Tax, Bilzin Sumberg; Andrew Fielding, Managing Member Dominion US LLC & ASF International LLC; Edgar Ríos Méndez, Tax Partner, Pietrantoni Méndez & Alvarez LLC
Session #2: The Use of U.S. & Foreign Private Trust Companies
- Summary: This session will cover an overview of private trust companies, including the associated benefits, how to create them, who should be directors, when they are appropriate to use and what U.S. and foreign jurisdictions are viable, as well as a comparison of the U.S. jurisdictions. It will also cover the U.S. tax issues associated with having a director who is both a U.S. person and a beneficiary of a trust for which the private trust company serves as trustee.
- Speaker: Hal J. Webb, Partner, Tax, Private Wealth Services, Bilzin Sumberg
Session #3: The NextGen of Pre-Immigration Planning
- Summary: If you thought you knew everything there was about pre-immigration planning, then think again. Even with the current political environment, the U.S. is still a primary destination for many foreigners today that requires proper planning and the right team of coordinated experts. The panel will cover a number of interesting immigration, tax, and compliance issues that have recently been seen by the panelists.
- Moderator: Jennifer J. Wioncek, Partner, Tax, Private Wealth Services, Bilzin Sumberg
Panelists: Sarah B. Jacobson; Eduardo Carrillo, CPA, Managing Partner, Coral Gables Office, Hernandez & Company, LLP ; Gina Polo, Partner, Weiss, Alden & Polo, P.A.
Keynote Speaker: Joseph Kellogg, Partner, Wealth Planning Executive, WE Family Offices LLC
This event is by invite only. If you are interested in attending, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.